Now recruiting Back-Up Providers!
The BUAP provides temporary homecare services to In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) consumers with 25 or more personal care hours per week when their regular IHSS provider is unavailable due to an unexpected or unplanned event. The Back-Up Attendant Program was developed by the Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC) and the Department of Public Social Services to assist In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) consumers with severe disabilities in obtaining a temporary replacement homecare worker when their regular IHSS provider is not available.
Eligible IHSS consumers can call the Back-Up Attendant Program for a referral Monday through Friday, between 8am and 5pm at 877-287-6789. Calls made outside of these hours are answered by an answering service.
To qualify, consumers must:
- Be approved by the County to receive 25 or more hours of personal care services per week
- Have an immediate need for a temporary IHSS back-up attendant and have no other resource available to provide the needed assistance
- Sign up with the PASC Homecare Registry
To become a back-up attendant you must meet, among others, the following requirements:
- IHSS eligible and working less than 40 IHSS hours per week
- Have extensive homecare experience and/or be a CNA or HHA
- Complete BUAP orientation and application
- Participate in BUAP trainings
English Back-up Provider FAQs
PASC BUAP Frequently Asked Questions brochure.